Sunday, April 09, 2006

More Storm Pictures...



Right before severe weather comes it's not unusual to see these clouds. They're called mammatus clouds and they hang on the underbelly of the anvil. Typically if you see an anvil you know you're screwed for severe weather. If you see mammatus clouds you know hail is coming. Still, pretty cool looking clouds...


The winds pick up and the sky starts turning colors. Sometimes it looks brown and sometimes, like in this picture, it looks almost purple. I've heard it's because the wind kicks up the dust from the dirt (aka Alabama Red Clay) and it gives this effect. Whether that's true or not, it never fails to creep me out!

And then the hail comes...

I'd hate to be hit by those! The hail we usually get isn't any bigger than nickels. This storm spat out golf ball size hail all over the city. We were lucky not to see any of it. These pictures were taken less than 10 miles from my house... did I mention we were lucky?

Here are a few miscellaneous pictures that people have sent in since I posted yesterday. I'm only posting pictures that are within 30 miles of where I live. Some of these are really cool looking.

I'm just glad it's over.

2 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

wow - those pictures are amazing! creeps me out just to look at them...the force of storms is so overwhelming.

Thanks for posting those - glad you're okay!

p.s. I found your blog from Anne's

12:29 PM  
Blogger Andria said...

Thanks, me too!

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home