Thursday, March 16, 2006

One Hundred Things About Me

1. Blood, mayhem, screaming, and death don’t bother me. Turn on a scary movie and I turn into a wuss. I hate them and refuse to watch them. I know, it makes no sense to me either.

2. Many people believe that they know me well, only one or two truly do. I’ve had people whose names I can barely remember refer to me as their best friend. It never ceases to surprise me.

3. I have a weakness for chocolate chip cookie dough and Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies… Not at the same time.

4. There was a time that I was convinced that Janet Evanovich patterned her character Stephanie Plumb after me. I still wonder. Some of the experiences that Stephanie Plumb has had could have been taken out of my diary. Pathetic, but true.

5. I am often underestimated while working. For some reason, a woman sitting in a car listening to classical music and crocheting is never thought to be conducting surveillance. This amuses me.

6. Beautiful music makes me cry.

7. I detest crying. It makes my head hurt and my nose run. I wind up feeling worse physically when I’m done and ridiculous when I’m doing it.

8. I’ve often wished that I could feel comfortable crying, it would be nice to have that kind of release once in a while.

9. I am a romantic at heart.

10. I am not cold, indifferent, or uncaring. This is my work face. It’s a habit. The more emotional I am, the less likely I am to allow you to see it. It’s a self preservation thing and I can’t not do it. It’s not intentional, it’s just me. If you knew me half as well as you seem to think that you do, you’d know that.

11. I got married at 20.

12. It wound up being an abusive relationship.

13. I had my son a few months before my 21st birthday.

14. I left my husband when I was 22.

15. I told him I wanted a divorce on April Fools Day (an accident, I swear).

16. Our divorce was finalized on Halloween. I was 23. I have not seen, spoken to him, or had contact with him of any kind since this time. I do not receive child support.
For 6 years I went to school full time at night while working full time during the day.

17. I graduated with my Masters in December 2004 with a 4.0 GPA.

18. I am incredibly stubborn.

19. I love being with my son more than anything else on earth.

20. I love picnics outside.

21. My family is the most important thing in the world to me.

22. Someday, I’d love the chance to be a stay at home mom… Part time.

23. I used to play in an orchestra.

24. I played the flute.

25. I preformed at Carnegie Hall when I was 16 years old.

26. I wish I had time to play now.

27. Someday I think it would be fun to play in the pit orchestra for the local theatre.

28. Being in love scares me because it means giving up control, but that never stops me from falling.

29. Fireworks make me happy.

30. I don’t respect men who are threatened or impressed by what I do or the badge I carry.

31. I love roses and the smell of lavender.

32. I love going to the beach and feeling the sand between my toes.

33. I’m not all that fond of the water. The idea that there is so much beneath the water that cannot be seen scares me a little.

34. That never stops me from going snorkeling.

35. I firmly believe that every once in a while you should do something that scares the hell out of you.

36. A friend of mine, Debbie (Mom II), without realizing it, has taught me more about accepting myself and living life to the fullest than anyone else I’ve ever known. I want to grow up to be like her. I’ve never told her that. Until now. (I love you!)

37. The fastest way to my heart is by giving me flowers.

38. I’m a cheap date. Flowers, a packed dinner, and a long conversation where my ideas are sought after and respected are all it takes to make me happy. Of course jewelry will never be refused.

39. If you don’t take a stand and stand up to me I won’t respect you.

40. I love to debate.

41. I hate angry, emotional, and close minded people.

42. I don’t have a type, in friendship or relationships. I get along and have friends with people from all walks of life. Intelligence is the only common denominator.

43. I lived most of the first 8 years in Europe.

44. I want to take my son back to live for at least 2 years.

45. I constantly fear that I’m not a good enough mother.

46. I constantly tell myself that I am and resolve to keep trying to do better.

47. I figure it’ll be another 15 years before I’ll be able to tell which of those is right.

48. For the whole of my life my dad was my very best friend.

49. No man will ever come close to him so I quit trying to find one that was.

50. Dad died August 1, 2005.

51. He had 3 heart attacks, a heart transplant, complete renal failure, diabetes, a stroke, cancer, and a myriad of other secondary illnesses. My mother and I saw to his care everyday for the last 13 years.

52. When he died I was emotionally and mentally exhausted.

53. I would give anything to be that exhausted again if it meant 5 for minutes with him. He was the bravest, most courageous man I’ve ever known.

54. While I don’t talk about it, I miss him everyday. Sometimes it creeps up on me and the power of it takes my breath away.

55. Losing him hurt more than anything else I’ve ever experienced.

56. Sometimes when I wake up, I realize that I’ve been talking to him in my sleep and I can hear his voice echoing in my head with the answers to my questions.

57. I know that he’s still very close by.

58. The day after his funeral I received a call from an agency that he encouraged me to apply with. They wanted to set up an interview.

59. Two weeks to the day after he died I returned to the city of his death for the interview.

60. I received an offer letter from this agency on my birthday, a full two months earlier than I was told to look for one.

61. I don’t believe in coincidences.

62. Dad never did either.

63. I love watching NCIS and Gilmore Girls.

64. I rarely watch TV.

65. I love watching thunderstorms roll through. There is something very powerful about watching nature’s fury unfold.

66. I smoked a pack a day for almost 12 years.

67. I was addicted to Dr. Pepper and would drink at least three bottles a day.

68. I quit both cold on February 23, 2005.

69. I decided that the best time to quit something like that was to pick the hardest time in my life. If I could do it then, I could handle it anytime. It worked and I have.

70. My dad was so proud that I quit that I know I’ll never start back again.

71. For my last birthday I received 5 flower arrangements, a spa gift certificate, a leaf blower, and a Dremmel Tool kit. It was the perfect birthday. Even if I did turn 30.

72. I have my own power tools and I use them often.

73. I love gardening. Planting flowers and making things beautiful is one of my favorite pastimes.

74. I believe that Southern people are some of the nicest people on earth.

75. I’ve traveled and lived throughout Europe and the US extensively. I’m basing # 74 on experience.

76. I love watching Alabama football, even if I rarely have time to do it.

77. I love drinking Wild Vines Peach Chardonnay in the summer time. It’s cheap grocery store wine but I love the taste of it.

78. I have never tried any illegal substances, including marijuana.

79. I rarely drink. I always drive others home.

80. I’ve never minded.

81. I have called the police on one of my best friends that insisted on driving home while intoxicated.

82. He got a DUI and hasn’t spoken to me since.

83. I still don’t regret it.

84. I have no patience for stupidity.

85. I’m a night owl.

86. I love mornings, once I’m actually up.

87. I’ve never tried to figure that out.

88. The movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding could have been modeled after my family.

89. I love reading. I usually read about two to three books at a time. Different books for different moods.

90. I love going to listen to live bands play. Especially when they play outdoors.

91. I strongly believe in the power of volunteering and have volunteered multiple times a year for various community projects since I was in junior high.

92. My son is now a volunteer as well. This makes me very proud.

93. I firmly believe that you get out of your city what you are willing to put into it.

94. I believe that someday I may run for a state office.

95. I need to learn to curb my tongue first.

96. I am second generation American-Italian.

97. I am very proud of that fact.

98. I am trying to learn to be more patient and understanding of people. I am trying to learn to give people the benefit of the doubt. So far it’s not sinking in.

99. I believe happiness is both a choice and a lifestyle.

100. My mother and I are very different people. We will never see eye to eye on mostthings. I still respect her tremendously. She is the strongest woman I know and I try to be more like her every day. It will be a long process.

4 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Great list Andria! It is so diverse, and gives so much insight into who you are. I agree with you on intelligence being a big factor in who I hang out with... and I don't mean it in a snobby way but simply because I don't have a good time otherwise. I alos love me a good debate!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think I have 100 interesting things to share like you do! I loved it!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there, found your blog through Nello. Just wanted to say that I am so with you the crying thing. It wrecks me. My eyes puff after about 10 mins and my head hurts. Id love to be able to really cry but I always have to hold back for fear of looking like a frog and feeling awful for the rest of the day!
I am a happy person really though!!
Your list was very interesting and moving

6:28 AM  
Blogger Andria said...

Thanks. I was surprised to find that once I started the list, finding things to add wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Kristen and Kell: Welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the list. I always enjoy meeting new friends!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home