Thursday, February 16, 2006

Researching Wicca


I've recently been thrust into a situation that dictates that I learn more about Wicca. Having just spent the last couple hours in research, I've found an interesting bit of information.

According to this site it is a much larger religion than I ever realized.

Wiccan growth rate:
A second important statistic is the rate of growth of the Wiccan community. "In May, 1998, the Chicago Tribune reported that, though difficult to quantify due to lack of formal organization, neo-paganism is the fastest-growing religion in North America with the Internet being the prime means of proselytizing." 1 Ms. Curott estimates a doubling in size every 18 months. This growth rate seems quite high, but appears to have some credibility in the Wiccan community. The ARIS survey of the American adult population indicates a growth in the Wiccan community of 17 fold between 1990 and 2001 - the highest of any faith group monitored. This would indicate a doubling in numbers of adherents about ever 2.5 years. 2

If the latter growth rate is accurate and if it continues, then Wicca would be the third largest religious group in the U.S. by about 2012, behind Christianity and Judaism.


I have no idea how accurate that information is, but I can say after the research I've done today it wouldn't surprise me to find that it's close to the mark.

To be honest, I have no interest or desire to debate the merits of Neo-paganism vs. Christianity with anyone. I'm simply curious about this and would appreciate hearing if any of you have any experiences or opinions about it of your own.

So any thoughts?


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Seems harmless, from what I know.

More interested in WHY you need to know...but then again, I am a busy body.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Andria said...

*grin* Because I'm a busy body too.

Call it both a professional and personal interest. From the studies I've seen it seems that many of the "modern" religions like Christianity have roots in Paganism. It's interesting to me... learning about new stuff.

Did I mention that I can be a nerd sometimes? :-)

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home