Friday, August 04, 2006

First Day of School



Ah... The much anticipated and highly dreaded first day of school! But fear not my friends! This isn't just any old first day, this is The Brain's first day of Fourth Grade!

So what words of wisdom did mom have for her spawn this morning? "Just try and make friends with the teacher, okay? No more of this junk where you prove that you're smarter than she is... teachers tend not to like that sort of thing."

And what was the Brain's response? "Well, they should make them smarter then, shouldn't they? Good grief ma, I'm only ten!"

Followed by "Hey, I really hope Garrett is in my class this year... He and I have been best friends for like, forever! We even got into trouble together last year. We figured out that if we got into trouble together that the teacher couldn't argue with both of us at the same time. It was SOOOOO cool!"

And there I sat trying to figure out which lecture I should deliver first... Should it be the one that deals with respect? How about the one that says that misbehaver and manipulation in school are not acceptable? Perhaps the one that reiterates the importance of trying your best in everything that you do... Or maybe even the one that gets into the fact that while people are of varying levels of intelligence and creativity, everyone has value, that everyone is equally important.

I think I settled on something insightful like "keep your mouth shut and your nose down and please try to make friends with the teacher, please?"

It should be an interesting year!

2 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

I always liked the first day. The days after that...not so much. Fourth grade. Hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure that was a good year. Although, I think that was the year "my" Andria moved away. That was sad.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Andria said...

Fourth grade was tough for me too... maybe it's the age?

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home