Monday, April 21, 2008

A Rant

What a difference a week makes! I guess I was just in shock or something last week when Jeff returned to work. Today was a lot easier and a lot more normal. Thank goodness!

Things are getting really scary around here though, our gas prices are up to $3.59 for regular, eggs are nearing $3.00 and milk? Milk is almost $5.00!! Every time gas prices increase, my wage effectively decreases. People don't order out as much, they don't tip as much, and the $1.35 I get per delivery just barely covers the cost of the miles I drive. Not including wear and tear on my car. I don't even want to think about my poor car!

I don't know that I've ever said this before and really meant it, but I'm scared. I'm scared of what will happen if I don't find a job. I'm scared of rising food prices, astronomical gas prices, and unbelievable living expenses. I feel kind of cheated, as silly as that sounds. I worked my way through college as a single parent with no support. I worked my way though graduate school while balancing two very responsible full time jobs. I took care of my family, my parents, my brother, my son. And it was hard. Very very hard. I did it because it's what you do: you take care of those you love. It was a labor of love, if you will. I didn't mind and I don't regret it. But the entire time I secretly thought to myself that eventually, when everyone else was taken care of, it would finally be my turn.

And now I'm delivering pizzas with a Masters degree, unable to marry the man I love because I can't find a job.

I don't know who will win the next election, but I hope to hell they're a heckuva lot smarter than I am. Because I just don't want to think about what will happen if they're not.

1 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

I keep trying to find new ways to save money. I've never been a good coupon person, but I seem to be working less and our bills keep going higher and I'm pretty scared too. Working for a church may be regular work, but it sure doesn't pay well.

You do deserve a great job!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home